Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It's A Sick, Sick World!

I just discovered a couple of letters written to a syndicated columnist about raising children. I couldn't help but share them. They illustrate how secular psychology, self-esteem, the self-actualization theory, has brainwashed the yuppy crowd. The letters speak for themselves though I can't help but make a few comments!

"I recommend not stressing out about your teenager's messy bedroom. I did, however, ask my own two children to keep their bedroom doors shut. Every Saturday morning, I would clean out the 'science experiments' and wet towels in their room. The rest was up to them—if they wanted to live like that, it was OK with me. Eventually, as they ran out of clean clothes and were unable to find things, they wised up and kept neater bedrooms. I didn't want to sacrifice my relationship with them over a messy bedroom. Keeping the bedroom doors shut was the key to controlling my stress level."
  
   (Notice the entire issue is about mom's stress level not about what is right or wrong concerning "doing things decently and in order." And by the way, it should be dad who is giving instructions to the kids. He needs to run interference for the mother. A strong manly voice and "command" will get their attention! My older generation never talked about "stress." Life is tough with its ups and downs. The idea of personal stress was never an issue! You do what is right, what may be tough, and, you teach the children what is right!)

"If your child is about to have his or her haircut, use the word 'trim' instead of 'haircut.' 'Trim' is a less-scary word than 'cut.'"

   (What little sick and weak crumb snatchers we are making today. It would not take but one trip to the barber for the little kid to know what the word "cut" meant! We are so afraid of their "widdo feewings," instead of trying to make them strong as to how to live in a hard world! Question: If your little kid gets hurt, do you rush over and say "Are you hurt, are you hurt?" Let them explain to you the proper level of intensity as to what is happening. Often, it is we who are "imagining" and are out of reality. The kid may not be hurt at all! Give the appropriate response to the appropriate issue! If he is really hurt, that is one thing. But the "hurt" may simply be about YOU and not about the child!)

   Dr. Mal Couch