Wednesday, December 1, 2010

AMERICAN FREEDOM

Americans are to be free to say and do anything that does not harm others or that destroys the social fabric of the nation. This includes all Americans but especially Christians who founded this nation in order to be free to "be free."

   Though the apostle Paul, and all the early Christians lived under the sway of the Roman Empire, which had various restrictions on freedom, they still advocated total freedom in Christ to do what their conscience dictated. We are not required to be PC (politically correct). What if I don't like certain people for a specific reason? What if I believe that certain cultures will destroy America? What if I speak out against sins that others find acceptable? That is my business! And God will judge or correct me. It is not the business of other people. They are not to dictate my thoughts. I am free to be me, right or wrong!

   Of course all believers in Christ want to be right, and to be obedient to the Lord. He comes before what the government dictates, and even before what I think. Paul speaks to this freedom in Christ. He wrote "For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, that I might win the more" (1 Cor. 9:19). Freedom carries with it responsibility, duty, and obligation to others. But I am still free. Paul said he did all things that he might "save some" (v. 22), and he did all things "for the sake of the gospel" (v. 23). Though he was free, the gospel and the will of God came first (vv. 24-27).

   This is why the early colonies pledged their faithfulness in their colony charters to the gospel, and in order to honor the Lord. For example the Bill of Rights of the Virginia Convention (1776) said this:

   "That Christianity (religion), or the duty which we owe to our Creator and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of Christianity, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other.

   "All men are entitled to equal Christian freedom, that all Christianity stands without prejudice before the law of the state, and that liberty is not license."

   The colonies then existed in order to honor God and were not ashamed to admit such. God will restore our freedoms if we pledge ourselves to His Word and to the gospel message. Otherwise, we will sink again into slavery!

   Please pass this message on.
   —Dr. Mal Couch (12/10)