Sunday, August 28, 2011

NEW SICK TRANSLATION COMES OUT

A new Bible translation has hit the market and what I can tell by most of the comments about it, it is not being accepted very well. In fact some have even commented "It stinks." The translation is called the Common English Bible (CEB) and it was produced by twelve Catholic and twelve Protestant so-called "scholars." Since they have fouled up the translation so badly I cannot very well call them scholars.



One comment from folks who have looked at this version: "The use of the male pronouns are unacceptable." And "neutering God" is also almost heretical. Christ who is called in the Hebrew text "the Son of Man" is now called "the human one." This is a terrible mistake because He is doctrinally called the "Son" of Man[kind] in Daniel 7. And also: "The Son of God." These designation must be maintained or His doctrinal identification is lost.



While I'm sure there are many more mistakes in the translation these are the ones I focused on in order to note the horrible goofs the translation carries. It seems as if publishers are trying to outdo each other in misapplying the Hebrew and Greek texts and making the designations heretical. It's a race to see how far off they can stray in order to cause a misreading of the text.



This translation is a sign of the times. I predict that such translation work will grow worse through the next few decades and not better.



I recommend the New American Standard Bible (the NAS) with the Scofield Notes as the best version that can be relied on. As I do translation work weekly in both the Old and New Testaments I find the NAS the best and the closest to the biblical languages. In fact last night I recommended the NAS to a fellow who was asking. I added, "Be sure and get the NAS with the Scofield Notes." I happen to have known almost all of the authors of the notes. They are good men and they can be relied on for biblical accuracy.



—Dr. Mal Couch (8/11)