Saturday, May 17, 2008

America MUST Pray - Harry S. Truman


During World War II Senator Truman from Missouri was put on the ticket of President Franklin D. Roosevelt for a fourth term as his Vice President. An unknown, Truman was added to the ticket in order to carry the South for the Democrats. But Roosevelt did not care for his Christian, Baptist, and Sunday school teaching new VP. Before he died, Roosevelt only met one time with Truman for a breakfast session together.

When the President passed Truman met with reporters and said, "Boys, if you ever pray, pray for me. I don't know whether you fellows ever had a load of hay fall on you, but when they told me yesterday what had happened, I felt like the moon, the stars, and all the planets had fallen on me."

Four days later, Truman told the Congress, "At this moment I have in my heart a prayer. As I have assumed my duties, I humbly pray Almighty God, in the words of King Solomon: 'Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people that I may discern between good and bad for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?' I ask only to be a good and faithful servant of my Lord and my people."

Though Truman was salty in his personal life he still had great trust in the Lord. He had a prayer that he prayed every day from his high school years until he died. He shared this prayer with his future wife Bess before they tied the knot. In part it went something like this:

"Oh! Almighty and Everlasting God, creator of Heaven, Earth, and the Universe, Help me to be, to think, to act what is right, because it is right; make me truthful, honest, and honorable in all things; make me intellectually honest for the sake of right and honor without thought of reward to me. … Give me understanding."

Truman had been in business with a Jewish partner back in Independence, Missouri. When the issue of the establishment of the State of Israel came up before the UN, his old partner came to the White House and pleaded with Truman to support the founding of the Jewish State. While Truman had been raised in churches that denied the future Millennial Kingdom, he responded positively to his friend and supported the UN resolution to make this new nation in the Holy Land. Unfortunately Truman did not support the idea of supplying the new State with weapons to defend itself against the Arabs. Yet God in His sovereignty protected Israel despite the fact that thirteen Arab nations declared war against the Jews the day after independence was declared.

Billy Graham became a friend to the President and often met with him during his time in office and when he retired.