Sunday, October 2, 2011

THE PASSING OF “MR. PEPPERMINT,” JERRY HAYNES

In the 1950s through the 1970s I was working full and part-time as a newsman with WFAA-TV, Channel 8, in Dallas. A close friend was a co-worker, Jerry Haynes, who thrilled all the little kids in Dallas as "Mr. Peppermint." Jerry was very talented. He was eleven years older than I and happened to also be attending SMU. When I first met him he was not a believer in Christ though he was attending a Methodist church.
I remember when he made a profession of faith in Christ. He was very driven spiritually, however, I don't know much of his spiritual life in later years. As a cameraman with the news department Jerry and I went on several assignments together and had a few spiritual discussions as we traveled.
I talked with Jerry a few years back. We discussed our early years pioneering TV in the Dallas area. Jerry died at the age of 84 from Parkinson's disease. Many times I would go into the studio at his set and take photos of his guests who came to our station to be on his programs.
Jerry will be missed by me and many others who appreciated his talents.
--Dr. Mal Couch (10/11)