Thursday, October 21, 2010

LETTERS THAT WILL BREAK YOUR HEART!

Dr. Couch, I was a student of yours some years ago. I learned so much by your courses, your stories, your trips to Israel, your studies in church history, your handling of the scriptural text. To put it mildly, I highly respect you as a servant of God, and also because of all the books you have written. Your books have a special place in my library. Things have changed drastically where I went before. The school is not the same. I am wondering where you would suggest I go in order to get the studies you taught. Thank you for your ministry and the blessings you have been to me in the past. What should I do?

Sincerely,
JW


Dr. Couch, I came to Christ through a student who took some of your courses some years ago. He used to loan me your books and tapes and I learned a huge amount about God, the Bible and the church through you. I started attending a small Baptist church. I was working toward being a Southern Baptist pastor but I realized that what I was getting was nothing like I received from studying with you. I soon realized that the pastor never taught the Bible; he only taught salvation messages that never fed the sheep. In fact, he had some strange doctrines. After I expressed my doubts he began preaching a series against Calvinism. I stuck around for awhile but realized I had to leave. I attended a Southern Baptist school but they didn't even have a hermeneutics course nor did they teach the biblical language.

What should I do? All the churches around here are SB or Pentecostal, or, they are covenant in their theology. I need to get where I can feed my family. I would like to attend Scofield Seminary with you but I can't do that in good conscience unless I am a church member. I really don't know what to do. Your ministry has helped me through the years grow more than anything else so I value your advice very much.

Sincerely,
ML


Dear JW and ML.

The only school I am working with, and that I could even start to recommend, is Scofield Seminary. (Scofield Seminary is not connected to Scofield Ministries.) By the way, both of your letters are typical of many that I receive monthly, from students I have never met, or from former students who thank me for blessing them in past studies.

Things are changing rapidly in schools and churches across our nation. It is getting worse more quickly than we could all have imagined. Young teachers at many seminaries think they know so much but in reality they are very arrogant and ignorant about the Word of God. They are not to be trusted and they have little understanding about teaching the Scriptures. I urge both of you to give me a phone call for a conversation about what you might do from this point forward.

Thank you for writing.
Dr. Mal Couch (10/10)