Saturday, September 11, 2010

THINK OF AMERICA

You cannot help but think of our nation when you read the words of the prophet Jeremiah. He wrote "If that nation against which I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the calamity I planned to bring on it. ... If it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will repent of the good with which I had promised to bless it" (Jer. 18:8, 10).

   The Rabbis write: "God disposes absolutely of the destinies of Israel and every other nation, in the same way that the potter does whatever he pleases with the clay. ... God's blessings are always conditional: the blessings will be forfeited if the people become unworthy of them, while the disaster may be averted if the people repent in time."

   The Law was conditional of Israel being obedient, but of course, the nation could not be faithful to what the Lord said. This is why only grace can spare a people from the calamity of judgment. –Dr. Mal Couch (9/10)