Friday, July 16, 2010

WHY PRAY ...

If God is not sovereign? And sovereign means just that, sovereign! While He is not the Author of evil, He can cause it to be and then use it for His purposes.

   He does all things. Nothing happens apart from His design. He said "Truly I have spoken, truly I will bring it to pass, I have planned it, surely I will do it" (Isa. 46:11). And "I declare the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all my good pleasure" (v. 10).

   Also, "I have aroused [Cyrus] ... I will make all his ways smooth; he will build My city, and will let My exiles go free" (45:13). "I am the One forming light and creating (bara) darkness, causing well-being and creating evil (Ra), I am the Lord who does all things" (v. 7).

   Thus, we pray because He can do what we ask, if that is His design. We don't understand how this works, but it is proclaimed throughout the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. Many today deny the sovereignty of God because they are ignorant and do not study their Bible. They have been given a sorry education at church or at some shallow Bible school.

   God can even send evil spirits for His purposes. "An evil spirit from the Lord terrorized Saul ... Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you (said Saul's servant)" (1 Sam. 16:14-15). "The Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; and the Lord has proclaimed disaster against you" (1 Kings 22:23). Concerning
Rabshakeh: "Behold, I will put a spirit in him so that he shall hear a rumor and return to his own land. And I will make him fall by the sword in his own land" (2 Kings 19:7).

   My question then is: WHO IS IN CHARGE? Is it not God?

   So the things taking place today have to do with the Lord's plans and purposes. No President, or world leader, is sovereign. God is in charge! He is doing what He pleases. –Dr. Mal Couch(7-10)