Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I’M CONVICTED ...

"Dr. Couch, on your last posting for your website you convicted me! You wrote: "The men in the pulpit are no longer trained in systematic theology or the biblical languages."

   Although I was so trained, I am ashamed to admit that I have let those skills atrophy through the 25 years of disuse! And though I am not a pastor, but a Christian school teacher, I do periodically have the chance to preach. Sensing that the man in the pew wouldn't notice, I have usually taken the easy route to sermon prep (and lesson prep as well).

   You ARE right. And I have been wrong and lazy (sinfully so). Beginning today, I covenant that I will begin to re-sharpen the tools, and refresh my Greek and Hebrew. I know it's late in my life and ministry, but perhaps the Lord will have mercy and let me redeem some time. Please pray for me, and keep sharing the truth. God bless. --BJ (New York)"

   I have been pounding away on this issue for years now and this is the first time one with such maturity has been so convicted. Thank you for sharing this with me and our audience. Without systematic theology, doctrine dies. Systematic theology is the "systematic" approach to putting together all that the Bible says on a specific doctrine and subject. Without this, we cannot demonstrate properly, say, the doctrine of the nature of our God, the Trinity. I know only of a few schools that teach the proper use of the languages and systematic theology in our country, and especially, down this way. There are schools with young pups teaching who think they know what they're doing, but indeed, they do not! I can recommend none here in Texas! And I mean none!

   I'm looking for a few younger men who will pick up the mantle who will train their minds and hearts to really learn the great truths of Scripture. So far I find it difficult to have them stick with the process, and the pain, to finally know what they're doing with God's Word.

   Again, thank you for being so candid with your comments. – Dr. Mal Couch(12-09)