Thursday, June 19, 2008

What Does Obama Believe?

Obama is well loved by those under thirty, the people of Europe (a bad sign), and by the Muslim world. The young crowd are not looking for age and wisdom, experience and thoughtfulness. They simply want change for change sake! And more than likely they are going to get from the Lord what they want!

It is a fact that Obama has one of the most liberal voting records of any in our present Congress. World (June 14) reported that he said "We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change we seek!"

Human Events (June 18) says Obama claims to be a committed Christian. "I'm rooted in Christian tradition" he proclaims but then says "I believe there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are [all] connected as a people."

He thinks that "all people of faith—Christians, Jews, Muslims, animists, everyone—know the same God!" (His words) On his own salvation he says "I don't presume to have knowledge of what happens after I die. When I tuck in my daughters at night and I feel like I've been a good father to them, and I see that I am transferring values that I got from my mother and that they're kind people and that they're honest people, and they're curious people, that's a little piece of heaven." (What in the world does that mean!)

He then seemed to clearly deny evangelizing the lost. He said "There's the belief, certainly in some quarters, that if people haven't embraced Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, they're going to hell." He said this with an attitude of denial.

Obama may be wanting to appear as a Christian but by the above words it is certainly doubtful if he is.

This election year God may be giving to America, and the world, the leaders we deserve. Evil grows like weeds, especially in this land. If our prosperity disappears it will be the work of a God who is fed up with our ways. Isaiah writes, "Scarcely have the crops of the people been planted. Scarcely have they been sow, Scarcely has their stock taken root in the earth, but He merely blows on them, and they wither. And the storm carries them away like stubble" (Isa. 40:24).

The psalmist quotes the Lord: "When I select an appointed time, it is I who judge with equity. … I say to the boastful, 'Do not boast,' and to the wicked, … 'Do not speak with insolent pride'" (Psa. 75:2-5). "But God is the Judge; He puts down one, and exalts another" (v. 7).

The Lord adds a warning: "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance" (33:12).

After my first year of taking graduate Hebrew I taught an adult Sunday school class the great verses of Psalm 11. The words from the Hebrew text really touched my heart! Many of the verses are applicable for us today as a wayward people. "If the foundations (of righteousness) are destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (v. 3). God's "eyes look, behold, His eyelids test (scrutinize carefully) the sons of men. The Lord puts to the test the righteous and the wicked" (vv. 4-5). What is really within them? "Upon the wicked He will rain snares; fire and brimstone and burning wind will be the portion of their cup. For the Lord is righteous; He loves righteousness; the upright will see His face (someday)" (vv. 6-7). –Dr. Mal Couch