Monday, February 18, 2008

America Must Pray -- Theodore Roosevelt

The melody was one of the most favorite in America. It would be used to support the lyrics of one of the best remembered hymns. Andrew Jackson loved it and so did General Robert E. Lee of the Confederate army. It was the great song: How Firm A Foundation. President Theodore Roosevelt, the hero of San Juan Hill in the Spanish-American War (1898), said "it is just about my favorite hymn of all." But earlier, during the Civil War, the hymn was sung by both the North and the South, from one end of the country to another. Few can forget the words
How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said?
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
Fear not I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.